Skip to main content

#FacesofPhotonics: University of Cambridge Research Associate, Jonghee Yoon

Jonghee Yoon
SPIE's #FacesofPhotonics is sharing the story of Jonghee Yoon. Jonghee is a Research Associate at the University of Cambridge in Dr. Sarah Bohndiek’s VISIONLab. He is originally from South Korea, and his current research involves using hyperspectral imaging to identify and diagnosis oesophageal cancer.

Enjoy the interview with Jonghee.

1. Tell us about when you first became interested in optics and photonics.

When I was a high-school student, I had a great opportunity to attend a summer camp held in South Korea's Postech University. The camp program introduced various research areas, and provided lab tours to students.
⠀
One of laboratories I visited was doing biochemical research. The researchers showed me microscopic images of a chicken eggshell captured by scanning electron microscopy. At that time I had no idea about optics and microscopy, but I was hooked on the microscopic images. Since then I have become interested in microscopic imaging and optics. I think that experience placed me in the biomedical optics fields.

2. Explain your current research, and how it can impact society.

Schematic of hyperspectral endoscopy
My research is developing a clinically-translatable hyperspectral endoscope for the early diagnosis of oesophageal cancer. Hyperspectral imaging measures both the spatial (morphological) and spectral (biochemical) information of a target, which would enable detection of subtle differences between early lesion and healthy tissues.

Currently there are minimal clinically-available hyperspectral endoscopes due to implementation challenges. We are developing a practical hyperspectral endoscope with high spatial and spectral resolution for clinical diagnostic methods. Our ultimate goal is to apply the developed hyperspectral endoscope to clinical applications in Barrett’s oesophagus and osophageal cancer.

I believe that hyperspectral endoscopy will improve the diagnostic accuracy of the early cancer detection and patient outcome.


3. What are you most excited to see in the future development of photonics?

Schematic of diseases diagnosis using holographic 3D
microscopy and machine learning
I would like to see more and more optical imaging technology used in clinical applications of in vivo diagnostics. Optical technologies using visible or near-infrared light have many issues in clinical in vivo applications, mainly due to light scattering and absorption. However, many new optical methods have been developed to overcome these limitations for clinical applications.

I believe that scientists and engineers will solve many challenges involved in the clinical applications of visible and near-infrared light, and that biomedical optics techniques will play a key role in disease diagnosis and treatment.




SPIE’s #FacesofPhotonics social media campaign connects SPIE members in the global optics, photonics, and STEM communities. It serves to highlight similarities, celebrate differences, and foster a space where conversation and community can thrive.

Follow along with past and upcoming stories on SPIE social media channels:







Or search #FacesofPhotonics on your favorite social network!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cataract surgery: misnomer?

On left, the patient’s left eye has no cataract and all structures are visible. On right, retinal image from fundus camera confirms the presence of a cataract. (From Choi, Hjelmstad, Taibl, and Sayegh, SPIE Proc. 85671Y , 2013)   Article by guest blogger Roger S. Reiss , SPIE Fellow and recipient of the 2000 SPIE President's Award. Reiss was the original Ad Hoc Chair of SPIE Optomechanical Working Group. He manages the LinkedIn Group “ Photonic Engineering and Photonic Instruments .” The human eye and its interface with the human brain fit the definition of an "instrument system."   The human eye by itself is also an instrument by definition. After the invention of the microscope and the telescope, the human eye was the first and only detector for hundreds of years, only to be supplemented and in most cases supplanted by an electro-optical detector of various configurations. The evolution of the eye has been and still is a mystery.   In National Geogr...

Taking a Deep Dive into the World of Biophotonics

Gavrielle presents her research in Ven SPIE Student Member Gavrielle Untracht is pursuing her PhD at The University of Western Australia. She had the chance to participate in the 9th International Graduate Summer School in Biophotonics this past June on the island of Ven between Sweden and Denmark. At the school, sponsored by SPIE, invited experts from around the globe gave extended presentations on topics like tissue optics, strategies for cancer treatment using lasers, and entrepreneurship in photonics. Attendees also had the opportunity to present their current research projects, results, or ideas. Gavrielle shares her experiences of the summer school with this community in the following guest blog post. I recently returned from a week of great discussions and beautiful weather at the 9th Biophotonics Summer School on the Isle of Ven, Sweden. This experience, made possible (in part) by SPIE, was an invaluable opportunity for networking and a deep dive into the world of bi...

#FacesofPhotonics: Optical Engineering & Medical Physics PhD Student, Madison Rilling

WOMEN-IN-STEM ADVOCATE: Madison Rilling shares her knowledge Meet Canada-native and this week's SPIE Faces of Photonics feature, Madison Rilling. Madison is pursuing a PhD in Physics at Université Laval, in the Center for Optics, Photonics, and Lasers. She is also a part of the Université Laval’s Cancer Research Center. Both are located in Québec City, Canada. Madison is enthusiastic about science policy: "I am making my first steps in the world of science policy. I am -- or I try to be -- a strong advocate for next-generation scientists and women and girls in STEM." When she isn't in the lab, you’ll probably find Madison running, hiking, playing volleyball, or "...enjoying a good book in one hand and a tea in the other." STEP IT UP:  Rilling's  favorite hike, Garibaldi Lake in BC, Canada Enjoy the interview! 1. How did you become interested in the optics and photonics field? I did more of a theoretical undergraduate in math & phy...